Thursday, February 25, 2010

Laboring Over the Gospel

The other day I took the time to give a thorough explanation of the entire gospel message to our oldest son. To the best of my ability I used language that he is hopefully able to understand. Because he's still quite young I often wonder just how much he knows and how much he connects the dots. I took great pains using verses that he has learned to explain to him that Jesus is God. I reminded him of our reading through Genesis and the creation story of Adam and Eve who had only a single, simple law that they were unable to keep and brought sin upon the whole human race as a result. I pointed out to him that he himself is also a sinner and gave evidence to him from that very day by reminding him of the law that has been given to him to obey his parents. I discussed that this sin creates a massive problem because God expects perfection. I pointed out in Leviticus that the animal sacrifices that the Israelites were to bring to God were to be perfect and completely unblemished and that God would not accept anything less. I labored over the fact that Jesus is both God and man who kept every law perfectly and did not have any sin in himself and could thereby be the most perfect and final sacrifice and that the sacrifices in the Old Testament were only a type of the ultimate sacrifice that was still to come at that time in Christ. I made specific mention of the fact that in order to deal with this problem of sin in us that something had to die to pay the penalty (since the penalty of sin is death) and that Jesus, as God, did in fact die and that his obedience even unto death is both sufficient and acceptable to God to deal with this problem and fulfill God's righteous requirement. We covered the fact that not only did Jesus, God the Son, die, but that he also rose again and is also even now living and reunited in heaven with God the Father. Finally, I stated that only those that believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ could be saved and that that too included his own need to believe.

Right now the soil is fertile. We earnestly pray that the seeds take root.

No comments:

Post a Comment